July 1 2018 - House decay timer changed
House IDOC system
May 13, 2018 - Cherry Blossom Festival 2018 Rewards
Using squirrels to pull out teeth
How many of you would actually enjoy a shard wipe?
Come on TARS!
I was bored
[Pages of our lives parody
Promo video 3
CTF / Harrower
Welcome to Age of Valor! We are an Ultima Online free shard that has been running since 2006 featuring lot of advanced custom content which aims to provide a fun and balanced UO gaming experience. While we do have lot of custom content, we do our best to ensure it is balanced and similar to what you would find on an official server. We may be small but we have a great uptime and reliability track record. Check out our forums and features page to learn more about our shard.
Server host is login.uovalor.com, port 1337.
See connection instructions here.
|News :: Jul 10 2018 10:55:39 am - Shard down due to power outage [back up]|
|Power went out this morning and backup batteries ran out and my whole rack dropped hard. I'm at work so can't do anything. I'm hoping nothing got damaged in the process and will hopefully be able to bring it back up either at lunch or tonight.
EDIT: Second power outage in evening. Going down again.
|Jul 01 2018 6:30:52 pm - July 1 2018 - House decay timer changed|
|Due to lower population and activity I decided it was only fair to increase the house decay timer from 90 days to 500 days.
This is also a reminder that in order to refresh a house it requires more than just logging in. You do need to play a bit. You can do anything like go kill a few mobs or run a few quests or something, as long as you're somewhat active for a short while. I think a lot of people have been caught with that. The idea is to make it a tad harder to just hold on to a plot and not actually play.
I do have plans in the future to revisit this system but simply changing a number in the code was a quick fix.
Happy Canada Day!
|May 13 2018 9:20:12 pm - May 13, 2018 - Cherry Blossom Festival 2018 Rewards|
|Put those stockpiled cherry blossom points to good use, the 2018 rewards are now live!
- Embroidered Pillow
- Year of the Dog status (Now available in granite, jade, bronze and bloodstone)
- Decorative Origami Fire, Cold, Poison and Energy Lotuses
- Carved Wooden Screen
- Dragon Brazier
- Pet Deathwatch Beetle or Pet Siamese Cat
- Yomotsu Warrior Costume
- Yomotsu Priest Costume
- Rune Beetle Costume
- Travesty Costume
- New pillars will allow you to change the color of your Chinese zodiac statues to granite, jade, bronze or bloodstone. This works with all previously obtainable years (rooster, monkey, dog, goat, etc). The pillars are located at the Zento bank by "Mido the Sculptor"
- New fireworks vendor named "Tama" will sell you fireworks. When placed on the ground and ignited with fire, the firework will launch into the air and explode (firework color is determined by the color of the rocket). Fireworks purchased are randomized colors, black being the most common.
- Solving a cherry blossom puzzle might reward you with a firework kit. When locked down in your house, you can double click the kit to receive a randomly hued firework rocket. Charges will gradually replenish over time. As this was a late addition, the cherry blossom puzzles will remain until June 15th instead of being removed on May 31st.
Please note that the Cherry Blossom Festival will continue until May 31st, 2018 and will end on June 1st, 2018. The festival will return again on April 1, 2019
|Event :: Mar 20 2018 6:42:19 pm - Cherry Blossom Festival 2018 (April 1st to May 31st)|
|The Cherry Blossom Festival Returns!
Head to the town of Zento in the Tokuno Islands to take part in the festival!
The festival runs yearly from April 1st to May 31st.
During the festival season, you can enjoy the following benefits:
Treasures of Tokuno
- Increased drop rate of Treasures of Tokuno between April 1st to May 31st
- Increased sightings of acid slimes between April 1st to May 31st. One of the random top attackers will receive a bottle of pigment when the slime has been killed. The pigment will be the same color as the slime.
Cherry Blossom Puzzles
- Head to Zento and try one of the Cherry Blossom puzzles. Win lesser Treasures of Tokuno as prizes as well as blossoms for the community collection.
- Gives a higher chance of getting Leurocian's Mempo of Fortune or the Yomotsu Elder's sleeves as a prize
- 1 in 50 chance of getting the puzzle exclusive shadow veil mempo!
Collect different blossoms and turn them in for new prizes, such as decorative flower vines, costumes of tokuno creatures, and new equipment!
Note: Be sure to turn your blossoms in with the same character if you are collecting points. Points are character bound, not account bound!
Collecting blossoms can be done several ways
- Complete the quests around Tokuno
- Kill monsters in the three Tokuno based dungeons (Fan Dancer's Dojo, Yomotsu Mines or the Citadel)
- Complete the Cherry Blossom Puzzles for a chance to get blossoms as a reward
- Sometimes spawned naturally around the ground around Tokuno (Not in dungeons)
- Quests to be posted closer to festival start date
- Some spawn changes have been changed or cleaned up
- All monsters in the fan dancer's dojo, the yomotsu mines or the citadel have a chance to drop blossoms in your pack upon their death (Only during festival season from April 1st to May 31st).
- Your luck will influence your odds of getting a higher quality blossom which is worth more turn-in points.
|News :: Feb 17 2018 4:29:08 pm - Ongoing Database Issue|
|Looks like the issue we've been facing for past few days may be related to a failing hard drive in one of the raid arrays. I've ordered a new drive. That particular raid array is not actually the one that the server VM is on but I think when it gets stuck it just causes the whole file server to block and then affects other stuff too. Though this is just a guess as the issue actually looks more like a network issue, so it's kinda weird. But there is a drive failing, so may as well tackle that and see if it helps. Has to be done anyway.
As a side note I do have a code issue with the SQL system as it should not be corrupting the way it's doing even with DB write issues. The system was designed in a way for situations like this not to actually cause database corruption and for the pending data to simply wait until the DB is available again. So I will have to look at that.
I am reluctant to increase the frequency of the backups for now as it will simply put more strain on the server, so I will just keep the backups at he same rate while I wait for the replacement drive to arrive. Shard DB backups run several times per day already.
If by chance you play and do something such as get an artifact and are worried about the crash happening, just shoot me a PM and I can run a backup manually.
|News :: Feb 02 2018 2:48:56 am - Shard revert due to database issue|
|Due to a database corruption issue we had to do a revert to Sun Dec 31 18:00:08 EST 2017. Given how dead the shard has been lately it only got noticed now so had to use a pretty old backup... but given the lack of activity not like much was lost anyway.
Sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused. I will investigate the cause of the corruption.
|News :: Jan 01 2018 10:52:59 pm - Forum is now SSL enabled|
|Just a FYI I have enabled SSL on the forum. For now you need to manually go to the SSL version by using https instead of http but I will setup a redirect once I feel it works properly.
This means that when you login, your password, cookies etc are no longer going to be sent in clear text.
Why? Because, it's 2018! About time I do this. Thanks to https://letsencrypt.org/ , this does not cost me anything and I will be doing all my other domains too.
I will be doing a donation to support them, considering this would have cost me many 100's of dollars per year using regular CAs.
I also have a big project I've been neglecting that I want to finish this year, it's not really AoV related but will somewhat affect this forum. I used to run a forum at iceteks.com and anythingforums.com but had to shut them down due to security issues as they were super old. I will be combining those two, uogateway,and this forum into a single forum at iceteks.com. More on that here.
I will also be using a common login system so when I do roll out a wiki or any other site feature it will use the same account.
I also want to look at making the shard accounts use this system.
|Event :: Dec 02 2017 8:25:13 pm - Christmas Event 2017 - Make Christmas village great again!|
|2017 AOV Christmas Event: Shields Down (December 3rd, 2017 - January 19, 2018)
The evil elves are back, and have taken over Santa's village once more. During renovations, evil ninja elves have slipped through, and have managed to use the village's magic to continuously pour in through portals. We could build a bigger wall and make them pay for it, but they would still be able to come in. So instead we will build a shield, it's going to be yuge, we built one before last year, and it was successful, so we will build one even bigger! But we need your help!
Coal powered shield generators have been installed in 3 locations to block these portals, but there are not enough elves to keep them fuelled all the time. Your help is needed to do this. They appear as follows:
How to fuel a shield generator: To fuel a shield generator you simply place coal, or cast fire spells on it. Double click coal to light, it will also eventually catch on nearby coal. Several piles of coal can be placed around to maximize the speed at which power level increases. Coal drops on the floor and from dark elves. It can also be obtained by mining anywhere in Sosaria.
Example of fuel generator that is fueled by coal being placed around it:
Double clicking it will tell you it's status. There are 3 major modes for these generators:
Offline: No protection provided. Dark elves continue to arrive. Double clicking will show you the current power vs the power required to turn on.
Online: Dark elves have more trouble entering, but can still enter. Continue to add fuel. Double clicking will show you the current power vs the full power potential.
Full power: When this point is reached, all evil elves are instantly killed and no longer arrive. Good elves will slowly start to spawn. Good elves may fight any bad elves that happen to remain.
Note: These shield generators emit radiation which is known to the facet of trammel to cause health decrease and in some cases, death. Ask your doctor if the job of fueling these is right for you. We guarantee that coal is in fact a safe method of powering these and does not contribute to any harmful emissions.
When the coal runs out, the power level of the shield generator slowly drops, at some point the good elves will stop spawning, and bad ones will start to return. Shield generator #3 is a special case where it has no control over evil elves, however once brought to full power it will provide surprise stockings throughout the village.
As well as evil elves, some sith lords whose ship has crashed have also decided to establish themselves in the NSA errr Claus Surveillance Centre. This has prevented Santa from checking to see if people are being naughty or not. It is also where shield generator #3 is, so it may prove difficult to enter until shield #2 is activated at full power.
Few last notes:
- To enter event, there are white gates throughout the world with title "Shields down!"
- There is a quest right at the entrance, it's worth grabbing it if you want some quick Christmas decoration.
- Due to mechanics of spawners and their sleep mode, allow 5ish minutes for good elves and surprise stockings to spawn the first time the cores are brought to 100%. Once stuff starts to spawn, the spawners will speed up. They are all set to spawn a new mobile/object within 30 seconds to 3 minutes.
- Difficulty may be a bit on the hard side due to amount of spawn, a stealther may be useful to get the generators going. Lit coal will also damage mobs, be creative.
Possible Resource Drops:
- Luminescent Fungi
- Parasitic Plant
- Diseased Bark
- Bark Fragment
- Perfect Emerald
- Dark Sapphire
- Ecru Citrine
- White Pearl
- Fire Ruby
- Blue Diamond
- Brilliant Amber
- Random Runic Tools
- Random Skill Gain Deeds
- Pet Bonding Deeds
- Bags of Sending
- Bank Checks/Gold
- Ash Boards
- Yew Boards
- Bloodwood Boards
- Heartwood Boards
- Frostwood Boards
- Random Magic Items
Christmas Decoration Drops (Drops in Stockings)
Red and White Poinsettias
Small and Large Nutcracker
Red and Green Candy Cane
Introduced in 2015 Christmas Decoration Drops (Drops in Stockings)
Christmas Tree Angel
Snow Statues (Seahorse, Pegasus, Griffon, Mermaid)
Snow Globes (Various colors and names. Rare glacial color is 10% chance)
Holiday Bells (Various colors and names. Rare gold color is 10% chance)
New 2016 rewards!
Pot of Eggnog
Stop the evil elves, and make Christmas Village great again!
|Event :: Oct 30 2017 9:21:13 pm - The Dark Moon Rises! Happy Halloween|
|The dark moon rises over Malas, Halloween quickly approaches!
This event is only for Halloween and will end on November 1st
Starting today, you can find the following in Malas:
- Halloween scenery such as bones, blood, pumpkins and dead trees
- Giant black widows, zombies and crows
Feel like battling something tougher at the prospect of rewards? Search the lands of Malas for the following creatures:
- Walking corpses: Grey colored zombies with a moderate amount of health. Killing one will reward you with lots of loot in the corpse as well as a grab bag of roulette tokens. Will you find a good haul or paltry loot?
- Mephitis: You can find this giant spider champion wandering freely around Malas this Halloween! Kill her for an explosion of gold and a chance at one of her champion spawn artifacts!
|News :: Oct 28 2017 11:47:17 am - [Oct 28 2017] - Unexpected Server Outage - [restored]|
|I got called in to work but as it happened the power went out. For some reason the shard is now offline and I can't connect to the network.
Unfortunately I won't be able to get to it till after 7pm today.
I will monitor for the odd chance it comes back up as last time it was the ONT that was acting up, but I have a feeling a server took a power hit from the initial brownout despite there being a UPS. It's not dual conversion. I do have plans to upgrade to one eventually.
UPDATE 13:40ET: I went home real quick just to get an idea of damage and if it's something that just needs rebooting. At quick glance it looks like we lost the VM server that hosts pretty much everything. Also for some reason despite having a backup DNS on a physical server, DNS is also not working.
Good news is the file server is ok. There may still be OS level corruption from the VMs having been improperly shut down but worse case scenario I need to re-image each one. There should be no actual loss of data. If yes there are backups.
Shard will remain down for the rest of day till I get home and can figure out what is going on in more detail.
UPDATE 20:29ET: I am now home and investigating this issue. I am hoping it's nothing bad as this affects all my own stuff too not just the shard. Pretty much dead in the water here.
UPDATE 21:01ET: This is going to require more coffee and possibly an all nighter. I don't even have heat because I can't access the environmental control server. This is very bad, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this outage. I just hope there's no corruption once I can get to the point where I can see the VMs. Right now the storage is not linking properly and there's all sorts of weird DNS issues. I setup a backup DNS server a while back but aparantly everything is still trying to connect to the main one which is a VM. I think I should just make the physical box the primary, though part of the issue is even that box is acting weird.
UPDATE 22:17ET: I may have some progress. Was able to get the storage subsystem back online. I am powering up my VMs one by one to make sure it's stable then will get to the shard VM shortly.
UPDATE 22:33ET: Looks like the database is corrupted. I will work on restoring it. If this is successful and that there are no other issues, the shard should be back up very shortly. TC1 was corrupted too, oddly dev was ok. I fear I have a lot more data corruption to deal with though but I'll probably find it over the next few weeks, months even years as I need it.
FINAL UPDATE 23:36ET: Restored a backup from Sat Oct 28 06:00:08 EDT 2017 and tested server ok.
I still have a lot of other stuff to restore such as TC1 and my own personal stuff. I lost my VPN server completely, the VM is destroyed, and other stuff like that. But as far as shard goes, it is back online and should be stable. I need to start looking into upgrading my UPS to 48v dual conversion, I was putting that off, but it's the second time something like this happens so I will have to get on it. A simple power bump should not be this disastrous. I'm also looking into simply adding a large capacitor bank that hooks into each server's PSU but that is more invasive and complex as I need to implement inrush current limiting etc.
© Copyright 2018 Age of Valor