May 13, 2018 - Cherry Blossom Festival 2018 Rewards
Using squirrels to pull out teeth
How many of you would actually enjoy a shard wipe?
Come on TARS!
I was bored
Merry Christmas All!
[Pages of our lives parody
Promo video 3
CTF / Harrower
Welcome to Age of Valor! We are an Ultima Online free shard that has been running since 2006 featuring lot of advanced custom content which aims to provide a fun and balanced UO gaming experience. While we do have lot of custom content, we do our best to ensure it is balanced and similar to what you would find on an official server. We may be small but we have a great uptime and reliability track record. Check out our forums and features page to learn more about our shard.
Server host is login.uovalor.com, port 1337.
See connection instructions here.
|May 13 2018 9:20:12 pm - May 13, 2018 - Cherry Blossom Festival 2018 Rewards|
|Put those stockpiled cherry blossom points to good use, the 2018 rewards are now live!
- Embroidered Pillow
- Year of the Dog status (Now available in granite, jade, bronze and bloodstone)
- Decorative Origami Fire, Cold, Poison and Energy Lotuses
- Carved Wooden Screen
- Dragon Brazier
- Pet Deathwatch Beetle or Pet Siamese Cat
- Yomotsu Warrior Costume
- Yomotsu Priest Costume
- Rune Beetle Costume
- Travesty Costume
- New pillars will allow you to change the color of your Chinese zodiac statues to granite, jade, bronze or bloodstone. This works with all previously obtainable years (rooster, monkey, dog, goat, etc). The pillars are located at the Zento bank by "Mido the Sculptor"
- New fireworks vendor named "Tama" will sell you fireworks. When placed on the ground and ignited with fire, the firework will launch into the air and explode (firework color is determined by the color of the rocket). Fireworks purchased are randomized colors, black being the most common.
- Solving a cherry blossom puzzle might reward you with a firework kit. When locked down in your house, you can double click the kit to receive a randomly hued firework rocket. Charges will gradually replenish over time. As this was a late addition, the cherry blossom puzzles will remain until June 15th instead of being removed on May 31st.
Please note that the Cherry Blossom Festival will continue until May 31st, 2018 and will end on June 1st, 2018. The festival will return again on April 1, 2019
|Event :: Mar 20 2018 6:42:19 pm - Cherry Blossom Festival 2018 (April 1st to May 31st)|
|The Cherry Blossom Festival Returns!
Head to the town of Zento in the Tokuno Islands to take part in the festival!
The festival runs yearly from April 1st to May 31st.
During the festival season, you can enjoy the following benefits:
Treasures of Tokuno
- Increased drop rate of Treasures of Tokuno between April 1st to May 31st
- Increased sightings of acid slimes between April 1st to May 31st. One of the random top attackers will receive a bottle of pigment when the slime has been killed. The pigment will be the same color as the slime.
Cherry Blossom Puzzles
- Head to Zento and try one of the Cherry Blossom puzzles. Win lesser Treasures of Tokuno as prizes as well as blossoms for the community collection.
- Gives a higher chance of getting Leurocian's Mempo of Fortune or the Yomotsu Elder's sleeves as a prize
- 1 in 50 chance of getting the puzzle exclusive shadow veil mempo!
Collect different blossoms and turn them in for new prizes, such as decorative flower vines, costumes of tokuno creatures, and new equipment!
Note: Be sure to turn your blossoms in with the same character if you are collecting points. Points are character bound, not account bound!
Collecting blossoms can be done several ways
- Complete the quests around Tokuno
- Kill monsters in the three Tokuno based dungeons (Fan Dancer's Dojo, Yomotsu Mines or the Citadel)
- Complete the Cherry Blossom Puzzles for a chance to get blossoms as a reward
- Sometimes spawned naturally around the ground around Tokuno (Not in dungeons)
- Quests to be posted closer to festival start date
- Some spawn changes have been changed or cleaned up
- All monsters in the fan dancer's dojo, the yomotsu mines or the citadel have a chance to drop blossoms in your pack upon their death (Only during festival season from April 1st to May 31st).
- Your luck will influence your odds of getting a higher quality blossom which is worth more turn-in points.
|News :: Feb 17 2018 4:29:08 pm - Ongoing Database Issue|
|Looks like the issue we've been facing for past few days may be related to a failing hard drive in one of the raid arrays. I've ordered a new drive. That particular raid array is not actually the one that the server VM is on but I think when it gets stuck it just causes the whole file server to block and then affects other stuff too. Though this is just a guess as the issue actually looks more like a network issue, so it's kinda weird. But there is a drive failing, so may as well tackle that and see if it helps. Has to be done anyway.
As a side note I do have a code issue with the SQL system as it should not be corrupting the way it's doing even with DB write issues. The system was designed in a way for situations like this not to actually cause database corruption and for the pending data to simply wait until the DB is available again. So I will have to look at that.
I am reluctant to increase the frequency of the backups for now as it will simply put more strain on the server, so I will just keep the backups at he same rate while I wait for the replacement drive to arrive. Shard DB backups run several times per day already.
If by chance you play and do something such as get an artifact and are worried about the crash happening, just shoot me a PM and I can run a backup manually.
|News :: Feb 02 2018 2:48:56 am - Shard revert due to database issue|
|Due to a database corruption issue we had to do a revert to Sun Dec 31 18:00:08 EST 2017. Given how dead the shard has been lately it only got noticed now so had to use a pretty old backup... but given the lack of activity not like much was lost anyway.
Sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused. I will investigate the cause of the corruption.
|News :: Jan 01 2018 10:52:59 pm - Forum is now SSL enabled|
|Just a FYI I have enabled SSL on the forum. For now you need to manually go to the SSL version by using https instead of http but I will setup a redirect once I feel it works properly.
This means that when you login, your password, cookies etc are no longer going to be sent in clear text.
Why? Because, it's 2018! About time I do this. Thanks to https://letsencrypt.org/ , this does not cost me anything and I will be doing all my other domains too.
I will be doing a donation to support them, considering this would have cost me many 100's of dollars per year using regular CAs.
I also have a big project I've been neglecting that I want to finish this year, it's not really AoV related but will somewhat affect this forum. I used to run a forum at iceteks.com and anythingforums.com but had to shut them down due to security issues as they were super old. I will be combining those two, uogateway,and this forum into a single forum at iceteks.com. More on that here.
I will also be using a common login system so when I do roll out a wiki or any other site feature it will use the same account.
I also want to look at making the shard accounts use this system.
|Event :: Dec 02 2017 8:25:13 pm - Christmas Event 2017 - Make Christmas village great again!|
|2017 AOV Christmas Event: Shields Down (December 3rd, 2017 - January 19, 2018)
The evil elves are back, and have taken over Santa's village once more. During renovations, evil ninja elves have slipped through, and have managed to use the village's magic to continuously pour in through portals. We could build a bigger wall and make them pay for it, but they would still be able to come in. So instead we will build a shield, it's going to be yuge, we built one before last year, and it was successful, so we will build one even bigger! But we need your help!
Coal powered shield generators have been installed in 3 locations to block these portals, but there are not enough elves to keep them fuelled all the time. Your help is needed to do this. They appear as follows:
How to fuel a shield generator: To fuel a shield generator you simply place coal, or cast fire spells on it. Double click coal to light, it will also eventually catch on nearby coal. Several piles of coal can be placed around to maximize the speed at which power level increases. Coal drops on the floor and from dark elves. It can also be obtained by mining anywhere in Sosaria.
Example of fuel generator that is fueled by coal being placed around it:
Double clicking it will tell you it's status. There are 3 major modes for these generators:
Offline: No protection provided. Dark elves continue to arrive. Double clicking will show you the current power vs the power required to turn on.
Online: Dark elves have more trouble entering, but can still enter. Continue to add fuel. Double clicking will show you the current power vs the full power potential.
Full power: When this point is reached, all evil elves are instantly killed and no longer arrive. Good elves will slowly start to spawn. Good elves may fight any bad elves that happen to remain.
Note: These shield generators emit radiation which is known to the facet of trammel to cause health decrease and in some cases, death. Ask your doctor if the job of fueling these is right for you. We guarantee that coal is in fact a safe method of powering these and does not contribute to any harmful emissions.
When the coal runs out, the power level of the shield generator slowly drops, at some point the good elves will stop spawning, and bad ones will start to return. Shield generator #3 is a special case where it has no control over evil elves, however once brought to full power it will provide surprise stockings throughout the village.
As well as evil elves, some sith lords whose ship has crashed have also decided to establish themselves in the NSA errr Claus Surveillance Centre. This has prevented Santa from checking to see if people are being naughty or not. It is also where shield generator #3 is, so it may prove difficult to enter until shield #2 is activated at full power.
Few last notes:
- To enter event, there are white gates throughout the world with title "Shields down!"
- There is a quest right at the entrance, it's worth grabbing it if you want some quick Christmas decoration.
- Due to mechanics of spawners and their sleep mode, allow 5ish minutes for good elves and surprise stockings to spawn the first time the cores are brought to 100%. Once stuff starts to spawn, the spawners will speed up. They are all set to spawn a new mobile/object within 30 seconds to 3 minutes.
- Difficulty may be a bit on the hard side due to amount of spawn, a stealther may be useful to get the generators going. Lit coal will also damage mobs, be creative.
Possible Resource Drops:
- Luminescent Fungi
- Parasitic Plant
- Diseased Bark
- Bark Fragment
- Perfect Emerald
- Dark Sapphire
- Ecru Citrine
- White Pearl
- Fire Ruby
- Blue Diamond
- Brilliant Amber
- Random Runic Tools
- Random Skill Gain Deeds
- Pet Bonding Deeds
- Bags of Sending
- Bank Checks/Gold
- Ash Boards
- Yew Boards
- Bloodwood Boards
- Heartwood Boards
- Frostwood Boards
- Random Magic Items
Christmas Decoration Drops (Drops in Stockings)
Red and White Poinsettias
Small and Large Nutcracker
Red and Green Candy Cane
Introduced in 2015 Christmas Decoration Drops (Drops in Stockings)
Christmas Tree Angel
Snow Statues (Seahorse, Pegasus, Griffon, Mermaid)
Snow Globes (Various colors and names. Rare glacial color is 10% chance)
Holiday Bells (Various colors and names. Rare gold color is 10% chance)
New 2016 rewards!
Pot of Eggnog
Stop the evil elves, and make Christmas Village great again!
|Event :: Oct 30 2017 9:21:13 pm - The Dark Moon Rises! Happy Halloween|
|The dark moon rises over Malas, Halloween quickly approaches!
This event is only for Halloween and will end on November 1st
Starting today, you can find the following in Malas:
- Halloween scenery such as bones, blood, pumpkins and dead trees
- Giant black widows, zombies and crows
Feel like battling something tougher at the prospect of rewards? Search the lands of Malas for the following creatures:
- Walking corpses: Grey colored zombies with a moderate amount of health. Killing one will reward you with lots of loot in the corpse as well as a grab bag of roulette tokens. Will you find a good haul or paltry loot?
- Mephitis: You can find this giant spider champion wandering freely around Malas this Halloween! Kill her for an explosion of gold and a chance at one of her champion spawn artifacts!
|News :: Oct 28 2017 11:47:17 am - [Oct 28 2017] - Unexpected Server Outage - [restored]|
|I got called in to work but as it happened the power went out. For some reason the shard is now offline and I can't connect to the network.
Unfortunately I won't be able to get to it till after 7pm today.
I will monitor for the odd chance it comes back up as last time it was the ONT that was acting up, but I have a feeling a server took a power hit from the initial brownout despite there being a UPS. It's not dual conversion. I do have plans to upgrade to one eventually.
UPDATE 13:40ET: I went home real quick just to get an idea of damage and if it's something that just needs rebooting. At quick glance it looks like we lost the VM server that hosts pretty much everything. Also for some reason despite having a backup DNS on a physical server, DNS is also not working.
Good news is the file server is ok. There may still be OS level corruption from the VMs having been improperly shut down but worse case scenario I need to re-image each one. There should be no actual loss of data. If yes there are backups.
Shard will remain down for the rest of day till I get home and can figure out what is going on in more detail.
UPDATE 20:29ET: I am now home and investigating this issue. I am hoping it's nothing bad as this affects all my own stuff too not just the shard. Pretty much dead in the water here.
UPDATE 21:01ET: This is going to require more coffee and possibly an all nighter. I don't even have heat because I can't access the environmental control server. This is very bad, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this outage. I just hope there's no corruption once I can get to the point where I can see the VMs. Right now the storage is not linking properly and there's all sorts of weird DNS issues. I setup a backup DNS server a while back but aparantly everything is still trying to connect to the main one which is a VM. I think I should just make the physical box the primary, though part of the issue is even that box is acting weird.
UPDATE 22:17ET: I may have some progress. Was able to get the storage subsystem back online. I am powering up my VMs one by one to make sure it's stable then will get to the shard VM shortly.
UPDATE 22:33ET: Looks like the database is corrupted. I will work on restoring it. If this is successful and that there are no other issues, the shard should be back up very shortly. TC1 was corrupted too, oddly dev was ok. I fear I have a lot more data corruption to deal with though but I'll probably find it over the next few weeks, months even years as I need it.
FINAL UPDATE 23:36ET: Restored a backup from Sat Oct 28 06:00:08 EDT 2017 and tested server ok.
I still have a lot of other stuff to restore such as TC1 and my own personal stuff. I lost my VPN server completely, the VM is destroyed, and other stuff like that. But as far as shard goes, it is back online and should be stable. I need to start looking into upgrading my UPS to 48v dual conversion, I was putting that off, but it's the second time something like this happens so I will have to get on it. A simple power bump should not be this disastrous. I'm also looking into simply adding a large capacitor bank that hooks into each server's PSU but that is more invasive and complex as I need to implement inrush current limiting etc.
|Oct 15 2017 11:18:12 pm - October 15, 2017 - Champs, Fountain, Quest and Supremes|
It's been awhile since the last update but here's a few things to keep you busy while we work on some other additions.
Please continue to report any bugs or issues you experience and we will do our best to address and fix them up. A couple of bug fixes and additions did not make it in for this update but we have decided to release what's complete while we continue on the other stuff.
Here's a list of the newest additions and fixes for this update:
Champion Spawn Catch Up
This has been in place for awhile but we had not posted the notes for the changes:
- Scrolls of transcendence can drop from non-fel and fel champs. They pop into your pack from killing mobs. Fel champs will drop higher level scrolls.
- White candle reset timer has changed from 10 min to 1 hour, making it easier to solo with enough dedication
- Natural champ respawn is now 10-25 min
- Slice timer has been raised from 1 second to 10 seconds as to cause less load on the system
- Random t2a champ spawns can now pool from all champion spawns, including ML champs and custom champs
- Max spawn down from 250 to 200, meaning that less monsters need to be killed for each level
- Champ boss HP and stats increased to match OSI
- All champs can now drop artifacts in your pack upon death (Any facet). 30% decor, 15% shared, 5% unique drop. Luck does not impact odds, more than one drop can happen per champ kill.
- AOV custom artifacts, such as champion sashes and name items like "Semidar's Soul" or "Mephitis Fang" have been added to the standard OSI drop list
- You can still get a drop from the champion boss even if you didnt do any damage to the boss itself. This is based on doing damage to the spawn and your damage during all levels.
- Champion spawn boundaries have been individually set for each spawn, allowing better spread within the boundaries.
- There are only 3 active spawns allowed on the shard at any given time (Valor should not start it). This is for fel only champs (trammel and T2A)
- Colonel Sanders champ is now plant themed and spawns a bog thing champion. It can randomly be found in Felucca T2A or will spawn in the farmer field in Britain in Felucca.
Pieces of a Long Lost History Quest
Head on over to the Gargoyle City in Ilshenar and talk to Alec. He'll tell you about pieces of a long lost history hidden in the sands of the nearby desert.
For 1000 gold you can buy his sand sifting tray and test your luck at finding pieces of ancient relics and heirlooms. Combining 10 pieces together will reward you with a decorative item dating back to Juka or Meer history!
Be careful when sifting the sands, you might disturb some nasty desert creatures. It's also possible that they've been hanging on to some of those antiquity fragments!
Fountain of Fortune Revisions
The Fountain of Fortune in the Underworld has had its reward list updated.
The Underworld monster protection scrolls are now split up to protect against individual Underworld monsters. They also have a graphic and description when double clicked.
The fountain's reward message is now more descriptive to what prize/buff you've received.
The buff/prize list has been revised, including some new items such as the Amulet of Safeguarding.
Buffs (80% Chance)
- New rotworm scroll protects you against blood poisoning for 1 hour
- New bloodworm scroll protects you against blood poisoning and anemia for 1 hour
- New tangling roots scroll protects you against entangling for 1 hour
- +10 strength bonus for 1 hour
- +10 dexterity bonus for 1 hour
- +10 intelligence bonus for 1 hour
- If you have any of the above bonuses already when you use the fountain of fortune, you may instead have your expiry reset to 1 hour
Items (20% Chance)
- Gemologist's Satchel (Gold, contains 5-8 rare gems)
- Soles of Providence (Gold Sandals, 80 luck)
- Amulet of Safeguarding (Always contains Defense Chance Increase 5%, Hit Point Increase 5 and Luck 80. Always contains one protection bonus for creatures in the Underworld and one killer bonus for creatures in the Underworld).
- Clothing bless deeds no longer drop from the fountain of fortune
- Supreme creatures will now spawn in Ter Mur. This means the Underworld can now spawn supreme creatures (and any other Ter Mur area once populated)
- All supreme creatures will now spawn in Abyssal Red hue (Black + red)
- Supreme creatures will spawn in with a burst of dark energy and a howl of cacophony. This is purely for effect.
- Halloween hint scrolls now have a yellow hue for the bonus as opposed to blue as it's easier to read.
|Event :: Oct 08 2017 1:23:13 pm - Canadian Thanksgiving 2017|
|Happy Thanksgiving weekend to all Canadian players!
You can once again find the turkeys in Ilshenar. Help rid us of these voracious birds!
This event will run between October 8th - October 31st
Please note, this is the same event as last year's 2016 event. The turkeys will return again for American Thanksgiving in November, but it will be a new event this year!
Please report any issues or concerns you may have and we will do our best to address them.
There are 5 different kinds of turkeys
These smaller turkeys show "a turkey" above their names. They don't have much health and are not much of a threat. These are the most common of all the turkeys. You may be able to find bronze and silver roulette tokens on their corpses.
Beware! These turkeys look just like the lesser turkeys, that is, until they are killed. These turkeys will burst into multiple copies of themselves, posing more of a threat than lesser turkeys. You can quickly get overrun if you aren't careful. These turkeys can also drop bronze and silver roulette tokens on their corpse with a better success rate than the lesser turkeys. They also have more loot on their corpses.
These giant turkeys are the strongest of the regular turkeys in the turkey clan. They have a lot of health and are strong fighters. Killing one will always reward a roulette token or horn of plenty (goes directly in your pack). Tokens range in rarity from the bronze token to the highly valuable platinum token!
An annoying minion summoned by Grosse Giblet's eggs. Although these are relatively weak, they do have a pecking ability that can cause continuous damage, disrupting spell casting.
Grosse Giblets the Huge
The big boss of all the turkeys! This turkey is no joke. Grosse Giblets have tons of health and nasty abilities. It will take a long time to take one of these down but you can get some unique rewards from it:
Special Drops (Off Grosse Giblet. Horn of Plenty also drops on Giant Turkeys)
A scepter with spell channeling (no penalty), faster casting 1, mage weapon -0 and weapon damage 35%
Tuft of Feathers:
A wooden kite shield with spell challenging (no penalty), defense chance increase 5%, lower requirements 100%, reflect physical damage 5% and 15% physical resist
Horn of Plenty:
A decorative lockdown themed for Thanksgiving. Locking it down in your house and double clicking it will give you all kinds of edibles such as ears of corn, french bread, squash, pumpkins and a cooked bird.
A boat shaped vessel to hold your gravy!
© Copyright 2018 Age of Valor